Feb 27, 2011

Small Steps to Getting Organized

For my latest River Journal article, I had the pleasure of interviewing my favorite professional organizer, Pernille Nils Ebbesen of Collage, and she shared a great tip for getting your house in order - Start Small.  Nils Ebbesen stresses the importance of picking a relatively small area to tackle first.  You'll be more likely to start the project (and more likely to finish it!) if it's a manageable project like creating a system for your mail pile or re-organizing your clothes closet as opposed to, say, cleaning out the entire basement.

With that in mind, here are a few photos that have inspired me to get my small spaces in order now...  I'll leave the big spring clean for another week.

Command Central:  I think this would be a great way to sort mail - tuck a shredder into one of these cubbies, a basket for recyclable ads/mags, and use these see-thru baskets to sort your bills, periodicals, and outgoing mail.  I'd replace the chalkboard with a big bulletin board and calendar - write down and pin up invitations and events as soon as they come in.

 Photo: House Beautiful , Closet Design by Erinn Valencich




Photos:  Originally shot for Domino Magazine

Photo:  Annie Selke's closet as seen in House Beautiful 

Ahhhh...  the dream closet.  Some of the best tips I've received for organizing your closet are to:
1)  Use identical hangers - Keeps everything looking neat, even when it's not.
2)  Use  shelf dividers  to store your handbags upright and keep them from falling over when you pull one down.
3)  Use shadow box picture frames to store your prettiest necklaces and earrings - hang these shadow boxes on your closet or bedroom wall to free up space on your dresser & enjoy your jewelry even when you're not wearing it. 

For more organizing inspiration, including more tips from the fabulous Nils Ebbesen, please check out my Around the House article.  Happy Organizing!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in! I look forward to hearing from you ~ Kitty